Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Time for Prayer




Most days I pray in the morning and evening. I love having this rhythm of prayer in my life.

Most days, like I said. Some days my schedule seems to get overtaken by life. Yesterday I jumped out of bed at 5:15am to volunteer at the homeless shelter, then rushed from there to an out-of-town work retreat. And while I know the shelter feeds my soul, we also need regular quiet time. with the Holy.

Life can get out of hand. The shelter feeds my spirit better if I can take time to reflect on it and the many others ways the Holy is at work in my life.

The Benedictines call morning and evening prayer the hinge hours, the beginning and ending of the day. In morning prayer I can present my day ahead to the Holy, then in evening prayer I can review the day with the Holy—if I'm not constantly rushing from one day to the next, blurring it all together.

At this point I don't have any answers. Some days and from some things I can more easily just cut fifteen minutes. But if prayer ends up feeling rushed, what have I gained?

So, this conversation with the Holy is ongoing.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment