Monday, February 7, 2011

Benedictine at Work

I continue to explore Benedictine spirituality in my life. I qualify this with the phrase ‘in my life’ because it’s not enough merely to explore on an intellectual level. It needs applied into my day-to-day life. Here the challenge begins.

Work is central to the Benedictine life. On first glance, that’s easy for sisters and brothers in a monastery and ordained clergy but what about the rest of us? My 9-5 (actually 7:30-4:00) job is far removed from such Godly work. Or is it?

I work for a not-for-profit hospital as a reimbursement analyst. Actually, my work is about as Godly as it gets: we provide healing to those in our community. I review and analyze how we could improve our billing practices to increase our reimbursement from Medicare and Medicaid so we can continue to provide healing in our community.

We bind up the wounded. We heal the sick. We comfort the hurting. I shouldn’t take this lightly.

Thus, this spreadsheet is not a work list to work through this week; it is the healing work I am called to do. Debating this service with Medicaid is not such a nuisance; it’s a bit of wrestling with ‘Satan in the wilderness’ but it is healing work and I must overcome this bureaucratic adversary. I should greet complicated and time-consuming work: healing is complicated and time-consuming work.

I will continue to look and see how I am doing God’s work. I imagine it could even change how I go about my day. Will it change how I start and end my day when my inbox is full of healing God called me to and my outbox is full of healing I did today. Yes, it feels much different.

So, how do you do God’s work?

No comments:

Post a Comment