Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Interfaith Winter Shelter

Tuesday mornings I work the 6:00am cleanup shift at the Interfaith Winter Shelter that rotates to my church two days a week from November 1 through March 31. There’s no sermon, no music, no liturgy, but week after week, this is the best church service I attend.

Linda, the Monday night director, is part of the success of this ministry. Frequently she talks about seeing the glow of the Spirit over the place or in the face of volunteers or guests. She is always seeing Jesus in a way like someone who has actually seen Jesus.

This week I saw the glow of the Spirit myself. Now I know what she has been talking about. People who are always seeing or hearing from Jesus are pretty freaky until you see him yourself! In that instance, spiritual eyes are opened to see things of the Spirit.

All along I’ve enjoyed working at the shelter, the guests and other volunteers, but this week it became different. While I was focused on picking up and putting away, not even paying attention, the Spirit shined and I saw. I turned to looked around and Oh. My. God. Literally.

In the words of John Lennon, “You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one.” Linda and I both have seen it. It will be hard to keep it quiet now.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful comment. I have a student at ivy Tech who may need (or want) to do that some time with you. More when I have more time to explain but this is great. Thanks, Sam (I wasn't so grateful when I tried to put that "app" on my FB page....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, thanks for reading and your comments. By all means, send the student our way.

    ReplyDelete