Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Benedictine Continues...

As a Benedictine oblate inquirer I continue to pursue this spirituality. For lack of a better word, I’ve been working on my oblate to do list. Really, it’s a guide of elements to ponder how to include in my life. To begin with, I’ve been easing into it. After all, Benedictine spirituality is very much about moderation in all things.

I’ve written about including a regular practice of prayer suitable to my life and faith. I look forward to these times to just be with the Holy as the holy speaks through Scripture, Psalms, and poetry. Last night I let The Writer’s Almanac start my evening prayer. The poem, Tuesday 9:00AM, was very thought-provoking and can be found at http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2011/01/25/.

Now, I am pondering the next element on my guide: Continue ongoing formation in Benedictine spirituality. I’ve been reading several books on this topic, all of them good. However, they all require work of self-examination. This is not meant to be the unexamined life.

Joan Chittister’s The Rule of Benedict: A spirituality for the 21st century is proving to be a very meaningful daily venture into this life. The book is a wonderfully inclusive language version of The Rule of Benedict to be read on a daily basis with commentary by Sister Joan. In small bites. It’s not a replacement for the other books but it’s a bit of the Holy right at the end of the day, something to sleep on, something to wake up with the next morning. There are no specific activities required but the words do linger with me into the next day.

Last night’s reading was on humility. I don’t tend to think I need a lot of work with humility but probably I need more than I think. As these words linger with me into today I think about how lack of humility might get in the way in my interactions with others and I listen in my heart for the Holy to speak.

7 comments:

  1. Hello. I saw your comment over at A Thinking Reed and, after reading your story, followed your link over here. I was surprised to see that you live in Bloomington. I work at an IU affiliate organization and live in Bedford.

    Our stories have similarities also. My wife and I were raised in Pentecostal Holiness churches (trinitarian, though) and left in our twenties for Lutheranism. Through various circumstances we are now attending the Episcopal church near our house in Bedford.

    I thought this was a pretty cool bit of serendipity. I'll be following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, thanks for speaking up.

    How have you found the change from Pentecostal to high church Episcopalian? Where have you had to adjust the most? Where have you most appreciated the change? There are so few of us that have made the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went from Pentecostal to Missouri Synod Lutheran, which isn't quite as high church as Episcopal churches. Still, it was a *drastic* change.

    Frankly, we were so glad to get out of legalism that we relished everything associated with the change. We loved the hymns and the feeling of a connection with something older than Azusa Street. Best of all was the freedom of having the focus changed from ourselves.

    Once we joined the Episcopal church I started reading more about mysticism and asceticism and started praying the daily office more faithfully. I realized as I did that that I was missing (without realizing it) the personal aspect. I'm glad to be getting that back, but I have no interest in going back to my Pentecostal self-obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy, when I first left Pentecostalism I worshipped with a very progressive campus ministry group. I learned a lot from them but I needed more of a year-round adult church. After that I mostly worshipped with the Episcopalians, Catholics and Methodists. I liked things about all of them.

    I agree with completely about the legalism and ancient worship. I love that parts of our worship date back to the early church and being encouraged to explore in worship.

    I recognize that mainline Christians aren’t quite as open with their faith as many Pentecostals but some mainline Christians really are. I am blown away by some of the spirituality in my congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that you are a Benedictine oblate inquirer. I've also been looking into various options in Episcopalian orders. Do you mind me asking what order you're inquiring into?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inquirer is the first stage of becoming an oblate, which lasts at least 9-12 months. After that I may become an oblate candidate, again for at least 9-12 months. At this point I may become an oblate.

    The first two stages are to decide if this is for and to learn about Benedictine spirituality. I am doing this with the monastery in Beech Grove, with a wonderful ecumenical presence. There is also St. Meinrad.

    I would love to start an ecumenical group in Bloomington like Urban Abbey in Arlington VA http://www.saintgeorgeschurch.org/urbanabbey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeremy, I just reread your question. I have been meeting with Our Lady of Grace Monastery in Beech Grove http://benedictine.com/benedictine.com/Home.html

    ReplyDelete