Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Oblate Inquirer

Sunday was my first oblate gathering at Our Lady of Grace Monastery. Sort of like “groupies” of a monastery, oblates are Christian laypersons who promise to live Benedictine spirituality in their lives, affiliated with a particulate Benedictine monastic community. I am drawn to this spirituality.

My first exposure to Benedictine spirituality was in the movie Dead Man Walking. I was so drawn to the spirituality of Sister Helen Prejean that I remarked at the time I wanted to be a nun. Friends pointed out the obvious obstacles: I’m not a woman and I’m not Roman Catholic. Who knew there was a way around all of this.

As an oblate I’m expected to engage in a regular practice of prayer suitable to my life and faith. This has already been an adventure. Over the past couple months I have been researching various online morning and evening prayers.

Instead of making requests, this prayer is a time to be with the Holy—dwelling in the house of Yahweh all the days of my life, beholding the sweetness of Yahweh. I always like the New Jerusalem Bible use of Yahweh but I particularly like this use of “sweetness” where most other translations use “beauty.” While the day is still young and just before the day ends, I step aside and be with the Holy. And behold.

If you’re interested, I will write more about Benedictine oblate spirituality.

Three of my favorite online daily prayer resources:

http://sacredspace.ie/
http://cptryon.org/caritas/index2.html
http://www.loyolapress.com/3-minute-retreats-daily-online-prayer.htm

I especially appreciate their inclusive, and rather expansive, language, along with their reflections on Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment